TECHNET Archives

March 2008

From:
"Creswick, Steven" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Creswick, Steven
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2008 11:10:59 -0500
Benoit,

We use multiple Dage 4000 series machines here [for microelectronics work].

The machine is configured to utilize interchangeable transducers and ranges of transducers - component shear and pull being the dominant modes of operation.

For example, the DS100Kg transducer [Die Shear, 100 Kg max load] is configured such that the operator can electronically select full scale load force detection of either 10, 20, 40, or 100 Kg.  So, if you know what your maximum shear value will be, you can select the best range for your test.

The following items are electronically settable for the DS100Kg transducer, by the user, in a set-up screen -

Range - 10, 20, 40, or 100 Kg
Test Speed - 0.0 - 700µm/sec
Land Speed - 0.0 - 3000µm/sec
Shear Height - 0 - 20,000µm

The land speed can be thought of as a 'touch-down' or 'making contact' velocity.  During a shear test, the load cell brings the shear tool downwards, into contact with the substrate, adjacent to the component to be shear tested.  The rate of descent is the Land Speed.

When the machine senses contact [best not to be zipping wildly downwards for an accurate test], the downward vertical motion stops and then reverses.  It rises to the height established by the Shear Height setting.

The Test Speed is how fast the component is being sheared.

There is another setting - Overtravel, but I don't have the limits for that at my finger tips.  Basically, that limits the extent to which the transducer travels beyond the destruct setting.  Helps when you have tightly spaced components, so you don't go wiping the next couple components off the board.

Our machines are purely operator guided.  The operator locates the component relative to the shear tool or wire pull hook using joysticks and an X-Y table.  If there are 100 wires to be pulled, the operator sequentially goes from one wire to the next.  I am sure that it could be automated, but not for what you and I are likely to be able to afford.

There are other equipment mfrs out there that sell comparable equipment so troll around the net for a bit.  Keller, Ametek, ... You might check on the IMAPS website http://www.imaps.org/ for other equipment manufacturers.

A word of caution - they are NOT cheap!

Steve