TECHNET Archives

March 2008

From:
Bob Willis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Bob Willis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2008 14:11:44 -0000
The main concern with increased level of voiding is not necessarily the
reliability or thermal impact it’s the increasing stand off that can occur.
As the voiding increases for a given application floating increases
increasing the possibility of opens.

In a x-ray book available from IPC I suggested with Dave Bernard a level of
25-30% was OK but depends how you measure it. In a line running in Sweden
with a selection of pastes we had less than 20% more like 15%.

I have a plan to do a little wok on voiding and the package height when I
get some time to play again. The guys at IPC have the following links on the
APEX web site but they may be of interest to people. We used them last week
in a SMART Group workshop in the UK.

See component floating during reflow
www.bobwillis.co.uk/lgaworkshop/lga01.wmv

Voiding in solder joints due to via design
www.bobwillis.co.uk/lgaworkshop/lga02.jpg

Poor solderability and how to test parts in assembly
www.bobwillis.co.uk/lgaworkshop/lga03.jpg

Printing paste during LGA rework, one option
www.bobwillis.co.uk/lgaworkshop/lga04.jpg

Printing 0.004” paste on LGA components
www.bobwillis.co.uk/lgaworkshop/lga05.jpg

Rework of LGA packages on flexible circuits
www.bobwillis.co.uk/lgaworkshop/lga04.wmv

Bob Willis
2 Fourth Ave, Chelmsford, Essex, CM1 4HA England
Tel: (44) 1245 351502
Fax: (44) 1245 496123
Mobile: 07860 775858

www.ASKbobwillis.com

Book your place on Bob's "Step by Step Failure Analysis Workshop" 14th
May www.ASKbobwillis.com/faworkshops.pdf