TECHNET Archives

March 2008

From:
"P. Langeveld" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, P. Langeveld
Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 2008 14:45:58 +0100
In this discussion I miss one aspect on the wetting performance of
HASL-treated boards.
And that is, if the blow-off by the air knive is too strong, solder
lands can have no or too little solder left on the surface. The inter
metallic surface is then exposed to the air and there is at least
strong acid flux needed for proper wetting in soldering processes
afterwards.
Fingerprints on such boards are desastrous. Skin fats and oils are
easily absorbed by the porous structure of the Cu6Sn5 intermetallic
layer. My experience is: never touch HASL-boards with bare hands.

So, be aware that there is enough solder left on the solder lands
(minimum +/- 8 um) after HASL-treatments.

Peer Langeveld
Consultant Soft Soldering Processes
5502 VH 8  The Netherlands