TECHNET Archives

March 2008

From:
Dave Elder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Dave Elder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2008 13:11:11 +1300
Thanks for replying Werner.

The problem is a general mechanical design question.
However a typical board in one of our mobile radio systems is 1.6mm
(63mils) thick with ceramic caps/ bgas etc. that has to withstand a drop
test of a few feet.
I have an old (pre lead-free) graph that shows Flexure vs Percent Fail
on 0805 and 1206 capacitors.
My mechanical designer is asking for information about how well such a
board needs to be supported in a lead-free PCB environment. At what
point of flexure will a lead-free joint fail?

Cheers, Dave

Werner Engelmaier /* wrote, On 4/03/2008 12:50 p.m.:
> Hi Dave,
> You give precious little information to go on.
> What are you doing to these PCBs? how thick are they? What kind of components
> are we talking about?
> What "non lead-free information" do you have that is pertinent?
>
> Werner

addressee.  It is subject to copyright, is confidential and may be
lost by reason of this transmission.
other act on the email.