LEADFREE Archives

March 2008

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Pete Houwen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 2008 11:24:44 -0500
Richard, those are some very good suggestions.  Kevin's were helpful, too.

There's a bunch of unfortunates here.  Mostly, I'm not in a position to push for
these changes.  I'm pretty much being asked by management to tell them why
we're having problems, but have no authority to make changes.  Which then
makes me no more than annoying if I try, but I still need to work with them to
fix it.  I know the problems, I don't know how to fix it.

We're fighting a cultural problem, too.  In a cost cutting move (and we know
how those turn out) we shipped our assembly out to a country where they've
gone from deciding whether to plant their few beans this month or next to
trying to grasp why cold paste throws the process off.  I've given them a list
of easy fixes, so far the only one they realize makes a difference is
depanelizing BGA boards on the cutter instead of their knee.

But I'll try pushing the piece at a time idea. I can use the information on how
and when to use the inspection tools to try to get them used more.  If I can
get them to start inspecting more, they might start realizing the details do
change things.

Thanks!

(I think Dewey accurately provided the condensed version of my problem!)