TECHNET Archives

February 2008

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2008 13:36:06 +0200
Four pumps would theoretically be better but, provided your needles had
a reasonable inside diameter, you could probably get away with one. Yes,
low-speed screw pumps would work, but you would probably do better with
the kind that has a chamber filled with paste and a plunger displaces
the paste along the needles (not a piston in a cylinder). The potential
problem with a screw pump is that the paste is subjected to considerable
shear as it is pushed along the rotor, making the chemistry quite
liquid, according to its rheological properties. This can cause metal
particles to come into contact with each other, coalesce and sinter into
clumps which could partially block the needles and then sinter further
onto other particles as they come along. The ideal is to disturb the
paste chemistry as little as possible, ensure a streamline flow along
the pipework, with no abrupt changes of diameter.

Brian