TECHNET Archives

February 2008

From:
Carl Proescholdt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Carl Proescholdt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2008 16:51:17 -0600
We are seeing many more larger (12.5mm Dia and 13 mm tall) SMT electrolytic capacitors being designed into the boards we are building.  With this style part, the body is relatively large compared to the pads (Which are 5.7mm long X 1.6mm Wide in this case).  This has led to increased handling damage where the pads get ripped off the boards even when operators are trying to handle them with care.

Has anyone developed an effective method to increase the attachment strength of these types of parts?  The only idea I have had other than glue, is to greatly increase the pad size while using solder mask to define the opening to match the recommended pad size for the part, but I don't want to go off chasing a bad idea for no good reason.

As a secondary question on these types of parts, I have seen the manufacturers selling leadfree versions that are not designed to be reflowed at higher temps that a true Rohs compliant part should be.  Any good ideas around that one?

Thanks!

Carl Proescholdt

dca manufacturing