TECHNET Archives

February 2008

From:
Kerry Bode <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Kerry Bode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2008 11:06:22 -0700
Jack,

Based on additional information the landscape has changed, I thought it
was an anomaly. I assumed it was in the cross-section of a coupon and
IPC looks at this as a pin hole in a ground area. You have enough
evidence to suspect that the lot has an issue with an etch down
condition that does not withstand thermal excursion process as the
copper trace does not have enough metal mass to move with the Tg of the
material. This may explain why the boards pass electrical test at the
fabrication house. With your additional information it appears the
problem is much wider spread. If this condition is from the board it
appears that the etch down condition may be more wide spread. If the
condition you showed in the section is on a trace it will lead to
electrical opens as the board goes through thermal excursions.