TECHNET Archives

February 2008

From:
"David D. Hillman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2008 10:00:38 -0600
Hi gang! Just an FYI - the IPC 4-14 Plating committee, George Milad and
Gerard O'Brien are the chairs, is wrapping up a very large round robin
testing program which investigated the impact of "loading up" a solder
joint with silver. The committee looked at BGAs, QFNs, QFPs, and resistors
(good component style cross section) and solder joint silver contributions
from the pwb finish, the solder alloy and the component finish. Thermal
cycle testing per IPC-9701 was conducted. The committee report should be
released sometime in the next few months. Extensive failure analysis,
cross-section work and SEM elemental mapping  - lots of fun data for folks
to digest.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins

"Igoshev, Vladimir" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>
02/07/2008 08:45 AM
Please respond to
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond to
"Igoshev, Vladimir" <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
Re: [TN] SAC on gold pins

Hi Werner,

I was expecting your replay with respect to "Ag embrittlement":-).
However, with the exception of your verbal referrences to an old and
confidential report, I haven't seen any published data provingv the point.

I always look forward to learn something new, though :-).

Regards,

Vladimir