TECHNET Archives

February 2008

From:
"Wenger, George M." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Wenger, George M.
Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2008 17:19:07 -0500
I almost hate to admit this but in 1971 when I was
Genny,

I almost hate to admit this but in 1971 when I was working for Western

Electric we ran a non-controlled experiment in the lab and passed out

copper clad laminates to employees of different nationalities and told

them to put lots of finger prints on them and then we ran them on a

G.E.C. meniscogarph to see if we could find soldering differences.  To

our surprise we couldn't determine and significant differences.  Since

then I've been intimately involved with PCB soldering and solderability.

Although many of our factories didn't use gloves to handle OSP or

immersion solder PCBs we did encourage them to handle PCBs only by the

edge.  We didn't discourage the use of gloves and in fact we encouraged

workers who did use gloves to handle PCBs only by the edge.  One thing

you need to keep in mind most people wear gloves to protect their hands

not what they are handling.  The outer surface of a glove is only clean

if you haven't handled something dirty before handing a PCB.

Regards,

George

George M. Wenger

Andrew Wireless Solutions

Senior Principal FMA / Reliability Engineer

40 Technology Drive, Warren, NJ 07059

(908) 546-4531 [Office]  (732) 309-8964 [Cell]