TECHNET Archives

February 2008

From:
Donald Vischulis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Donald Vischulis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2008 13:45:57 -0600
Jack

You can look at this queston from two perspectives: process control and performance.  Before production is moved to a new supplier, they should be audited to ensure that their level of process control matches or exceeds the level of process control at the previous supplier.  Performance is evaluaed through testing.  The amount of evaluation depends on the industry and application of the product.  The effort put into qualifying a PCB for a Class 1 product will be much less than for a Class 3 product.

My current role is Supplier Quality in the aerospace industry.  I don't get to deal directly with electronics too much, but here's a real example that is one of my current projects:  One of my suppliers is moving production of a family of coils from Plant A to Plant B.  They build to our work instructions and our bill of material on our tooling.  We still have to audit their manufacuring process at the sending and receiving locations and are performing thermal cycle testing to evaluate short term reliability.

On the PCB front, my company performs periodic supplier audits that include review of quality trends, evaluation of process control records, and audit the manufactring process to the supplier's work instructions as indicated by problems they have passed on to us.

Don Vischulis