TECHNET Archives

February 2008

From:
Joe Fjelstad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Feb 2008 15:22:20 EST

Hi Phil,
Thank you for  sharing your thoughts and for your kind words about me and as
well for  weighing in on Ron Lasky's behalf. It is a good and true  friend who
would make such a gesture. Ron is unquestionably  a fortunate man to have you
as a close friend.
That said, I would  also like to respond to some of your points. In my
opinion Ron's  affiliation with Indium does make him a part of the product team. In
my long  held (even if simple minded) view of companies and their employees,
anyone  who works for a company needs to consider themselves in product  sales
to some degree, no matter what their  title  is, because that is how the
company they work for makes money.  It is  like when I served in the army in
Vietnam, we all had different  military occupational specialties (MOS) but we were
all trained for an  infantry MOS ahead of that. So there is no slight in saying
that Ron sells  solder, he should be doing so in my view, unless of course,
he is not  getting compensated. I actually think he does a pretty good job of
selling  the benefits of lead-free solder in his blog. That Ron is a also
professor is highly admirable. There are few professions  as noble.
My preference has  always been for action over debate and I am working with
some of the  best minds in the industry to make it happen. We have been
collectively  engaging some house hold name companies with people who see the many
potential  benefits of solderless assembly...not just the problems. (Is the
glass half  empty or half full?... ;-) The future will tell  the rest of the tale
relative to solderless assembly technologies.
Does any of this mean  that solder is going to go away over night? Only a
fool would suggest  that. However, if one takes a longer view and looks to the
future in terms of what might be instead of simply what is at this moment, it
becomes clear that impossible things are in fact possible after all. I am
eager  to disclose some of the really great developments that are in the works
when I  am able to that should ultimately considerably shorten the "13 mile
long" Occam machine that Ron mentions in his blog and answer the "12  Questions to
Ask Occam Before Buying the Farm" he asks in his on line article  ... ;-)
I look forward to  sitting down with you and visiting more on the topic over
beer sometime in the  not too distant future... perhaps at APEX?.
Thanks again,  Phil.
Best regards and  wishes,
Joe

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)