TECHNET Archives

February 2008

From:
Noel Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2008 23:12:19 -0600
Hi,
The FEI Dual Beam and others like it from Carl Zeiss, Hitachi etc... are
great tools for creating small cross-sections and then imaging the
cross-section in-situ, or even creating a 3D map of a structure that is
continuously sliced and imaged.  These tools can ion mill cross-sections
that are up to 30x30um in a reasonable length of time.
The cross-section shown from Oregon Physics is of a 750um solder ball
which would be totally unfeasible with the conventional FIB tools.  The
system at Oregon Physics mills about 100x faster and so can manage to cut
much larger structures than usual FIB instruments.

Noel