TECHNET Archives

February 2008

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2008 17:11:10 +0200
Degrade? It all depends -- on what you mean!!!!! If we take the example
of 63/37, the Sn oxidises more readily than the Pb as the temp rises.
Eutectic is not synonymous with azeotropic. So overheating could lead to
a small amount of Pb-rich.

You could monitor the temp with a hand-held thermometer (probably more
accurate than the thermostat, anyway!) as you manipulate the on-off
switch. However, as a rule, I've found with most machines that if the
solder is heated to working temp, I can ladle out all the accessible
stuff into ingots before it solidifies, without any power.

Brian