TECHNET Archives

February 2008

From:
"Terry L. Munson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2008 13:25:12 EST
Graham
I agree with Bev, but to better correlate the issue to  performance. Subject
the assembly to a non condensing high humidity  biased (functioning)
environment (40C / 90%RH can work) and functionally  assessment after this exposure and
then determine which part of the  assembly is having the performance
problems. This gives a performance parameter  that is compared against the Ion
Chromatography in specific area  extractions.  This can tell you much  more about the
residue under an  0201 or in the SMT area next to a hand solder (or selective
solder) location  that trapped heavy flux but was poorly cleaned.  Averaging
the total board  is a 10,000 ft view of the PCB cleanliness and process effect
but  looking at the critical areas of the circuit such as resistor network,
RF  filter, or capacitor series on critical circuits can tell you how much
contamination is needed to create a problem or perform well.  If you could  use a
localized extraction system that assessed the residue effect under
electrical performance and then analyze the amount of ionic contamination by IC,  this
would give you an indication if the residue was corrosive or not based on
some defined criteria.  But to say that a board is clean or dirty by the  general
ROSE testing is difficult with today's assemblies and chemistries.

Terry Munson
Foresite
765-457-8095

In a message dated 2/19/2008 12:37:37 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,