TECHNET Archives

February 2008

From:
Hernefjord Ingemar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Hernefjord Ingemar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Feb 2008 11:06:42 +0100
Phil,
If you want to make a real deep dive, I recommend that your start with Dave's brilliant lesson in the art of understanding the soldering mechanisms:

The Impact of Reflowing A Pbfree Solder Alloy Using A Tin-Lead Solder Alloy Reflow Profile On Solder Joint Integrity

I recognize your cross section and your dilemma. I also agree with some guys that your cross section is 'obscure' (strange use of the word here). However, whatever you do, you'll get headache.  George Wenger got a disc from me, a 69 page report, in which you can follow my battle to understand why some BGAs just jumped off the boards, due to poor or no true solder joints at all. Maybe George can share the content with you. But you will get headache!

As for your question about IMC, I think that the creation of that layer or those layers 'depends' on a lot of factors. The IMC can occur :

as homogenous and even 0.5 um to 1.0 um thick lines, clearly and non disputably seen in a mildly etched cross section.

as inhomogenous and irregular 0um to 5 um thick lines, appearing as rounded structures,  reminding of cauliflower

as burtst or needles stretching several micrometers from the solder interface, or fingers, as you say.

I think that the appearance of the IMCs are much dependent on the microstructure and chemistry of the nickel, and also of the solder constituents. Is the nickel plating lamellar grown or columnar grown? Are brightners involved? What size of nickel grains?  What size of the nickel conglomerate? What contaminations in  the nickel plating? What organic adds? What oxygen level during soldering? What activation grade of the flux? What solder particle size and distribution? Then you have the soldering process parameters.  And a lot more..

WHAT YOU SEE IS  DEPENDENT ON THE DEGREE OF PREPARATION AND SCIENTIFIC INSTRUMENTS YOU USE.  That's why the discussion becomes endless sometimes, we see the subject with different eyes. Don't give up, Phil, one day you'll see your  problem clearly, but doing it "my way" as sang Sinatra.

Back to practice: start with the article I mentioned in the ingress.

Inge

PS. A LOM and a SEM photo on the balls and the pads AFTER prying, would be interesting too. Use both SE and BSE mode.