TECHNET Archives

February 2008

From:
stephengregory5849 <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, stephengregory5849 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Feb 2008 13:21:48 -0600
Hi Jack!

Here's something I found:

      Green Patina Formula:

      2 parts
     white vinegar
      1 1/2 parts
     non-detergent ammonia

      1/2 part
     non-iodized salt

      Application:
        a.. Clean fixture with Windex-type cleaner.

        b.. Premix patina solution in Windex-type spray bottle
        c.. Spray Windex cleaner on fixture to break surface tension,
leaving it on when you apply patina solution.
        d.. Apply patina solution by spraying onto fixture, preferably in
the early evening on a high humidity night.
        e.. Allow to set for 1 hour, then reapply solution observing where
you missed applying on the first coat. If there seems to be oil that is
repelling the patina solution, clean it off with the Windex cleaner.
        f.. Allow to sit overnight. In low humidity desert areas, use a
plastic bag to create a tent over fixture (without making contact with it)
to help keep the humidity high during curing. If there is low moisture in
the air, the solution will dry out without creating the patina effect.
        g.. The result will be a bright green powdery patina. Do not rub
off. In time (and re-applications) this finish will become permanent. The
brightness will fade with time. To reduce green, cut back on the salt
content. Color and effect is greatly affected by application ambient
temperature and humidity.
      back to top

      Darkening Copper & Brass (penny brown):
      Brown Patina Formula
      Hot Water
      Baking Soda
      Place the hot water in a bottle. Add enough baking soda until it will
not dissolve anymore when shaking the bottle.

      Application:
      Same as Green Patina. This finish is not as powdery and will not need
as many re-applications

Steve