TECHNET Archives

February 2008

From:
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2008 09:10:44 -0600
Hello Ioan,
I agree with Dave Hillman. You really need to think about what you want
to do with the X-ray, as different machines really do have different
applications that they work best for.
If you want to automatically scan just BGAs, I would recommend the Dage
Xidat series. However, it can only scan and automatically detect round
BGA spheres and only from a straight-down view, but not any other
features. It can be manually operated to look at other features such as
J-leads, SOIC leads, etc. with excellent feature detection capabilities
from a failure analysis or process qualification standpoint, but cannot
automatically inspect them. In can automatically move to them, but it
requires an operator to make the go-nogo decision on features outside of
BGA balls.

I would recommend you look at Phoenix X-rays also. They have much more
powerful software features that allow you to create pattern recognition
and grey-scale zones so they can be programmed to automatically inspect
features other than the standard "straight-down BGA sphere" views that
Dage is limited to. For example, they can automatically inspect and
detect SOIC and Gullwing heel fillets with very great accuracy. They use
the density of different thicknesses of the solder joint to measure the
variations in the grey scale. You can create very small inspection boxes
or patterns, for example, the first will be at the point along the edge
of the lead where the solder heel is thickest, and you apply upper and
lower limits of the grey scale that that point must be, then create more
boxes going away from the lead out to the edge of the pad, and each box
has progressively lighter grey scale ranges. If any particular portion
of the solder joint's grey scale value does not fall into the limits,
you then have either excess solder or insufficient solder. After the
programming is done for a given lead, you can automatically create a
library of these using JEDEX information for the part, and it can then
automatically screen and detect any images that have grey-scale readings
outside of the limits. This can also be done at angled views, but of
course you need to work around the shadowing of other features. And of
course, this sofware also allows you to perform the standard
"straight-down BGA sphere" views and automatically inspect for voids and
roundness and diameter, etc.
I have worked with Nicolet, Dage, VJ, Glenbrook, Phoenix, and FeinFocus
extensively at client locations, and of those I personally like the
Phoenix the best. I know there are other X-rays such as the Agilent 5DX,
Xtek, and others out there that I have not had the opportunity to use,
and any one of those could also be your best choice. But just make sure
you really know and understand what your requirements are. Some are
high-volume machines not suited for failure analysis type of work, and
others are just the opposite.