DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

February 2008

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Steve Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2008 10:14:28 -0500
 Gary,

Look at IPC-D-325A.

My regards,
Steve Smith
Project Engineer
Staco Energy Products Co.
301 Gaddis Boulevard
Dayton, OH 45403

-----Original Message-----
From: DesignerCouncil [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Gary
M. Koven
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2008 9:10 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [DC] Revision levels of PCB Assy v-v PCB Fab

Thirty-some odd years ago when I was a novice designer, I was trained
that the revision level of a PCB assembly (PCBA) must match, or be
greater than, the revision level of the bare PCB fab.

We have a situation now with usable Rev 5 bare board glass that is being
populated for a different application, requiring a new part number for
the PCBA and the BOM.

I'm inclined to do the initial release of the new PCBA and BOM at Rev 5,
based on experience.  My boss wants a Rev 0 release.

I can't remember what document originally specified the form, fit and
function rules for PCB and PCBA revision level control.

Can someone provide hard copy evidence for revision level control to
substantiate, or disprove, what I was taught back in the day?

Thanks and Best Regards,

----------------------------
Gary M. Koven, C.I.D.
Dynazign, Inc.
Charlotte, NC, USA
704.405.1234
Veteran of the Marsh School

following text in the BODY (NOT the subject field): SIGNOFF
DesignerCouncil.
To temporarily stop/(restart) delivery of DesignerCouncil send: SET
DesignerCouncil NOMAIL/(MAIL) Search previous postings at: www.ipc.org >
On-Line Resources & Databases > E-mail Archives Please visit IPC web
site http://www.ipc.org/contentpage.asp?Pageid=4.3.16 for additional