TECHNET Archives

January 2008

From:
Drew meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Drew meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2008 06:36:04 -0600
Genny,

I'm pretty sure that you already know what Tan Geok Ang means but thought
I'd mention it to you as well.  We just encountered an issue with this on an
OSP finish board used in a lead-free process.

The term used here was copper dissolution.  An intermetallic layer is formed
between the copper and the solder during the soldering process.  This layer is
part of the bond that makes the wonderful soldering process work.  The layer
is combination of the available metals.

In the case of OSP the available metal on the PCB is copper.  Intermetallic
thickness is dependent upon time and temperature.  Higher temperatures and
or long soldering times, the more intermetallic will be formed.  Copper readily
forms an intermetallic layer and will continue to form it at each soldering step
including repairs.

With the higher lead-free soldering temperatures more intermetallic will be
formed than with lead based eutectic soldering.

So, if repeated soldering or prolonged soldering operations occur it is possible
to simply consume all of the copper into intermetallic.  A board that reaches
such a state is scrap.

A carefully controlled soldering process should not lead to this problem.

With lead-free you want solder wetting to be the best possible to avoid long
dwell times that can induce copper dissolution.

If you want to see some images let me know and I can send them to you.  It's
not very pretty.

Drew Meyer