TECHNET Archives

January 2008

From:
Graham Naisbitt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Graham Naisbitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2008 13:04:13 +0000
Hi Steve

My apologies for this tardy reply - just bought another business which
kept me rather busy.

In answer to your question, take care.

UV curables offer superb fast cure in seconds - on 2D objects. The
tough part is getting the coating to cure where the light doesn't
shine, and it is really tough to bend light!

All UV's need to use a secondary cure mechanism to facilitate curing
in shadow areas. Often this is a moisture cure, but often it fails to
cure off for anything up to 7 days. Furthermore the product is
ionically "active" until it has cured.

Most of these issues have been addressed in UV40, but how fast you can
put the end product in a box to ship is something you should check for
yourself. The last thing you need is for the coating to flow out from
underneath components whilst in transit.

A comment if I may: Changing the coating to get the product out of the
door is not the sort of design brief I would feel comfortable with. A
full product re-qualification would be required.

Back to the coating you do use: Most urethanes are moisture cure
unless you are working with 1A33? If it is 1A33, then you should be
able to ship sooner than 20 hours.

I would prefer to see the following terms used:

Tack-Free
Dry
Fully cured

You can get most urethane coatings Dry - no flow-out during transit -
within around 8 hours or less.

Let me know which coating you use and I might be able to suggest an
alternative schedule.

Graham

Gen3 Systems
www.gen3systems.com - Engineering Reliability in Electronics