TECHNET Archives

January 2008

From:
"Terry L. Munson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jan 2008 18:08:11 EST
To address the cleanliness issues of a no clean assembly or a cleaned
assembly.  We have found that the total board bag extraction method has  it's
limitations that force at Foresite to use the localized extraction of 0.1  in2 or
0.02 in2 area extractions to understand the amount of residue  between leads or
below a low standoff component.  By using these isolation  techniques we are
able to determine the type and level of residues that are  causing the problems
either due to stray voltage, and electrochemical migration  problems and
optimize the process to minimize the residual effect.  The  cleanliness limits
that we at Foresite recommend are based on the need for high  impendence
circuitry to work in a controlled environment but the  residues can absorb moisture
over time to create these failures.

Using a no clean flux if it has not reached the activation temperature it
will still be moisture absorbing and conductive and this can be death to an
active circuit of low voltage as well as high.  The no clean flux  residue must
reach the activation temperature for all the flux not just one  place on the
board surface.  We have worked many FA investigations with  selective soldering
processes leaving flux on either bottom or top side of the  assembly that did
not see enough heat to create a benign residue and it will  create the
conditions of the corrosion cell and cause the circuits to  fail.  Suggested reading
Jan 2008 issue of Circuits Assembly Mag  Process Doctor   "A Fresh Look at
Cleanliness" _http://circuitsassembly.com/cms/content/view/5958/95/_
(http://circuitsassembly.com/cms/content/view/5958/95/)

We also believe that the bare board, component, assembly (cleaned and not
cleaned), heat sinks, and inside surface of the housing protecting the assembly
all should have cleanliness limits.  We have established these after
building our database from the thousands of  failure analysis that we have  performed
and working with our customers to work back to root cause and develop  an
optimized qualified process then monitor it for years.  Seeing these  improved
performance conditions when controlling these residues limits has  allowed
Foresite to establish our current cleanliness criteria and as technology  changes,
design and circuit sensitivity are the driving factors for us to modify  the
cleanliness limits.  Using a new definition of cleanliness of a  specific area
and not just a general cleanliness of the total board we believe  the problems
many companies are seeing when using no clean and  even those that clean can
be controlled.

How clean is clean enough isn't a total board cleanliness question anymore
but on the critical circuitry that fails first.

I hope this helps.

Terry Munson
Foresite