TECHNET Archives

January 2008

From:
Frank Kimmey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Frank Kimmey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2008 09:06:57 -0800
Eric,
The concern I think would be porosity of the gold when below 0.2 um (8
microinches). If there are any reliability issues, especially if extreme
environments are involved, I would think it would be from too thin a
gold finish. Even in ZIF there is some interference fit of mating
connectors and the reduction of the thinner gold plating could cause
issues.
I would recommend further discussion with your reliability team to see
if you could live with the reduced gold prior to shifting to the lower
cost class 1 parts.
Hope it helps,
FNK

Frank N Kimmey CID+