TECHNET Archives

January 2008

From:
Franklin Asbell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Franklin Asbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2008 16:45:31 -0600
What those tables state are;

The wrap plating thickness (beginning at the hole wall plating extending
.984 mils away from the hole edge) on the foil (or flashed) plated surface.

Plating shall be continuous and not less than .472 mils from the hole edge
to past .984 mils on the surface.

I would caution using or applying the term "overhang" as that often means
one plated area ending, another beginning (i.e. button plating perhaps).
Wrap plating is not overhang, overhang in some instances is cause for
rejection.

The intent here is to have a "continuous" amount of plated copper from
within the hole wall extending onto the surface which will provide a very
robust connection (after additional plating i.e. pattern or panel plate)
between the via and surface features (i.e. pads, traces, etc).

Franklin