TECHNET Archives

January 2008

From:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2008 13:42:19 -0000

I started to speed this, but began to lose the will to live at page 100 or
so and had to blow all tanks back to reality. So my reading is probably not
as complete as Brian's.
We have to assume they have reported honestly what they found, trouble is
they didn't look very hard or in many useful places or very critically, some
of the stuff is of "Heh?" relevance, but presumably was handy and adds bulk
to report. Worse they have then rather naively extrapolated from this
partial data to the whole of Europe and drawn conclusions which are then
stated as if facts.

The Cadmium usage highlighted by Brian is a good example. There must have
been an awful lot of cadmium plated parts or yellow colouring in electronics
before RoHS, because it wasn't in the solder. The major use of cadmium as an
alloying ingredient is in NON electronic electrical low melting alloys
(safety valves things like that)- by a huge amount compared to EEE. Perhaps
they mixed the total usages up, and then extrapolated a ROHS difference from
the whole WEEE and non WEEE usage. Who knows?
Wouldn't be surprised because, looking at the tables for amount of materials
saved pr unit and then putting those into the tonnages removed from
environment produces anomalous results on quantities of products made, which
you think they would have at least verified independently. I am not even
sure they agree with their numbers earlier but as I say I speeded though
this till my brain gave up and didn't try to check, could be my math as well
I suppose.
And I surely must have misunderstood the bit which I think said lead free is
major negative impact on landfill usage due to the increased volume of lead
free compared to tin /lead....

Regards

Mike