TECHNET Archives

January 2008

From:
"Douglas O. Pauls" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jan 2008 10:46:32 -0600
Also, if you go back to the IPC Review, October or November 2000, I did a
review of bare board cleanliness provisions in IPC specifications and mil
specs.  I have it in PDF or you can get it from IPC.

Doug Pauls

Tom Newton <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>
01/03/2008 10:36 AM
Please respond to
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond to
Tom Newton <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
Re: [TN] specifying board cleanliness

Phil and All:

I routinely stay out of TechNet discussions.  However, just to clarify
what Graham correctly provided earlier on the currently accepted ionic
contamination level per IPC documentation (1.56 micrograms per square cm
of NaCl equivalent), it should be noted that the bare (unpopulated) PCB
specification (IPC-6012) defines this same contamination value in
section 3.9.1 "Cleanliness (for bare boards) Prior to Solder Resist
Application".

If you have further questions pertaining to bare printed boards, please
examine this document, as it contains a wealth of requirement values for
this product.

Tom Newton
IPC