TECHNET Archives

January 2008

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jan 2008 17:58:21 +0200
Steve, do you believe all you read? This article is based largely on the
CNW Marketing Dust to Dust website, which has been largely discredited
and was funded by the oil companies. As for the nickel scare, do you
really think that the few hundred grams of nickel in the battery of a
car is the cause of all the pollution in Canada, as the author implies?
Your kitchen sink is probably 18% nickel and will contain many times
more of the metal than any hybrid car battery. "The plant is the source
of all the nickel found in a Prius’ battery and Toyota purchases 1,000
tons annually." Strange statement, because it implies that, at the time
of writing the article in 2007, the expected production figures for the
car were 300,000, so that the nickel in each battery was
1,000,000/300,000 = 3.3 kg: this seems almost an order of magnitude too
much. And the author seems to think the Prius is made in Japan. Since
the fire that destroyed the Nagoya Prius production line, they have been
made in China! And I cannot believe that the Prius costs more to make,
environmentally and economically, as a car weighing 3 times more!

This is journalistic BS.

Brian