TECHNET Archives

January 2008

From:
Date:
Thu, 17 Jan 2008 09:36:24 -0600
"Gold isn't a bad surface finish - it just has some disadvantages that
need to be recognized and dealt with in a proactive manner."
Exactly! Somebody finally nailed it. Good job, Dave.

Bev, gold within the solder joint may or may not be a problem. The
concentration is important, but other factors are equally important. It
depends at what temperatures the platelets are formed, what shape they
take, where they are distributed, and the configuration of the solder
joint and the stresses inherent to the joint.

I have numerous failure analysis reports that I have saved over the past
25 years from instances at Honeywell, ADC Telecomm, General Dynamics,
Pemstar (for various customers) and other companies where I have been
involved with fractured solder joints due to gold embrittlement,
primarily from gold on the component leads.

Some factors that affect the amount of embrittlement and/or contribute
to fracture are:
Percentage of gold by volume
Temperature profile during reflow
Thermal cycling after reflow (service loading). This directly affects
the rate of nucleation of the gold within the solder joint. It is a
time-variable phenomena.
Physical dimensions of solder joint (the larger the surface area where
an IMF formation occurs between a gold-plated SMT component lead and a
board pad, the more likely it is to pose a problem, as opposed to a
through-hole connection, for example).
Amount of nickel underneath the gold
Plating parameters
Etc., etc.

More often than not, fractures blamed on gold embrittlement are actually
a combination of several issues, including brittle nickel syndrome,
P-content, amount of nickel oxides, etc.

I have had situations where as little as a 1% content of gold by volume
led to premature fractures, and whenever the gold was removed, either by
changing the part finish or by pre-tinning, the problem disappeared.
Every single time.

Carefully read this:
http://www.binghamton.edu/physics/pub/cottsectc.pdf

I have other evaluations and articles, if anyone is interested.