TECHNET Archives

January 2008

From:
"Douglas O. Pauls" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jan 2008 09:00:40 -0600
Good morning Phil.

So soon after New Years and you claim your head hurts from reading IPC
specs?!! I ain't buyin' it.

So, what you need, is IPC-5701 Users Guide for Cleanliness of Unpopulated
Printed Boards.   An epic work if there ever was one.  This document was
written for people like purchasing agents for the language to use when
specifying board cleanliness.  It does not, however, tell you what target
values you need to specify.  That is an "It Depends" kind of question.

So, what you need in that case is IPC-5704, which does not exist yet,
except in my head and a few scraps of paper.  The IPC Bare Board
Cleanliness Assessment TG, which I chair, is pursuing the adoption of the
cleanliness portions of tje Delphi Electronics C-7000  board
specification.  That IPC specification will become IPC-5704, but probably
will not be finished before mid summer at the earliest.

So, what you need is to go back to the back part of IPC-5701, which
happens to list the cleanliness levels of the C-7000 specification as an
illustration.

OK, back to sniffin' fumes.................

Doug Pauls

Phil Nutting <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>
01/03/2008 08:44 AM
Please respond to
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond to
Phil Nutting <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
[TN] specifying board cleanliness

Good Morning and Happy New Year to All,

Let me start by confessing my ignorance relative to cleanliness of circuit
boards.  We have no idea what numbers to specify that fit into the IPC
testing methods for board cleanliness.  If I tell my CMs to make the
boards clean, it would be good to specify a target value and or test
method.

Can someone give me some guidance on how to chose these specifications?
What are worth while tests and which ones are window dressing?

I've read through some of the IPC tests methods and my head hurts.

Thanks in advance,

Phil Nutting

Note: All the information contained in this e-mail and its attachments is
proprietary to Kaiser Systems, Inc. and it may not be reproduced without
the prior written permission of sender.  If you have received this email
in error, please immediately return it to sender and delete the copy you
received.