TECHNET Archives

January 2008

From:
"David D. Hillman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2008 08:04:35 -0600
Hi Richard! What is your concern of using an immersion tin finish for high
performance pwbs?

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins

Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>
01/10/2008 03:20 PM
Please respond to
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: [TN] Lead-free HASL finishes

No.

I want to ensure that these two PWB surface finishes (not the component
finishes) never show up on PWBs intended for military use
unintentionally, by mistake, in place of standard tin/lead HASL or fused
Tin/Lead.

Imagine the implications.

But I also want to know what the controlling standards are, so I can
understand fully what the implications are if it did happen, from a
reliability standpoint, and what the standards require (if anything)
that would prevent such a thing from happening. I would expect to see
some type of labeling or other control methods. And no, it did not
happen anywhere that I know of. I just want to make sure it doesn't.

Thanks Phil and Dewey. I found the 4554. Are there any other tin-only
PWB finishes other than Immersion Tin out there?