LEADFREE Archives

January 2008

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Pete Houwen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2008 16:45:14 -0600
OK, now you guys are starting to move me back around to where I started.

(thinking out loud here) When we first started this over a year ago, we were
having lots of problems with fractures, we had analysis done and found some
pretty high P enrichment at the cracks.  After adjusting the reflow profile and
paste, we started having success with the boards.   The new SEM and EDX
images look much better, no more than 10% P near the joints (starting with 6-
8%P Ni bath).  We've got about 600 of these in QA and field testing and,
there have been about 3% failures from intermittent or open circuits in the
BGA.  They are all happening in the same spot, the corner of one of the two
BGA on the board, in  corner of the board near a few connectors.  The boards
I had tested were 2 built a year apart at the same vendor, and 1 built
recently from a different vendor.  I had 3 complete fractures and one laminate
crater under a solid joint in a common location, and 17 partial fractures in
other corners of the BGAs.

Reading some of the flex tests, I was a bit surprised at the amount of flex the
boards were being subjected to.  But I measured that against watching first
hand some of the brutal treatment our boards get.  I guess all that is what
has me focused on the mechanical stress.  I know our joints could be better,
but not much with the equipment, environment, and operators we have.
That's unlikely to change.

Maybe I should request some flex testing, and compare that to what ought to
be expected?

It's really not the best way to approach this - fix what we can and try to
figure out how good is good enough.  But that's kind of what I'm stuck with.

Just be glad we're not building aircraft.