LEADFREE Archives

January 2008

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Pete Houwen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2008 10:51:51 -0600
We are experiencing the common mechanical stress induced BGA corner
cracking in our assembly plant.  I have identified a number of potential
corroctive actions, but I can't realistically expect the problem to be
eliminated.  What I am being asked to provide in order to allow the product to
be released is reliability projections for the BGAs.

We have experienced <5% failure rate due to fully fractured joints.  What we
can't determine is how many partially fractured joints are being created, and
what may progress in these joints in use.

The product will not see severe environmental conditions, as they are used in
indoor retail locations.  Do I need to be worried about potential corrosion in
partially fractured joints?  Should I be concerned about partial fractures
continuing to grow until they create an open joint?

Cross section SEM and EDX testing shows that the joints (Hi-P ENiG and SAC)
are very good, IMCs are formed, <10% P.

I'm not finding too many studies on long term reliabliity assessment, and I
don't know that I will be able to convince anyone to do regular cross sectional
analysis.  But they're going to want my yea/nay on continuing production.

Thanks,

Pete