TECHNET Archives

December 2007

From:
John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2007 22:57:13 -0800
You have to be very careful how you "melt it" too much power and you will
"splatter" due to explosive flux heating. The beam movement is actually an
art form, it is scanned as a lissajous figure over the surface of the joint
so that the joint is evenly heated and the beam is not just "zapped" in one
spot.

It is indeed very cad dependent, but more than that it needs extensive R and
D by the equipment OEM to ensure that typical beam movement profiles are
available for a range of components.

In the case of a BGA you can solder the device through the package using a
YAG laser without overheating the surrounding area which is why such systems
can be used for re-work.

No they are not new. In 1987 we had a fully interfaced laser soldering
system from Basel laser teknic of Starnberg in Munich, in exhibitions in the
UK and Germany. These were fully featured systems working at full production
speed (in those days not that fast actually) We had it connected from memory
to a Siemens MS72 on the front end with an electrovert cleaner connected to
the other end.

John Burke

(408) 515 4992