TECHNET Archives

December 2007

From:
Date:
Mon, 31 Dec 2007 09:03:17 -0600
You do not state what the basis material is.
I think what may be happening is one of two scenarios, possibly both.

1.) A thin nickel flash over the basis material (copper, kovar, bronze)
followed with a matte tin finish can be dissolved due to the fact that
you are pretinning the leads, which would cause at least some of the
nickel to be absorbed into the tin-lead solder if the component is held
in the tinning bath for too long of a dwell time. Later, when you
attempt to solder the part, the nickel could be completely absorbed, and
the only thing you would have left to solder to would be the basis
metal, which may or may not be solderable. This would lead to a
de-wetting defect.
Nickel's rate of dissolution into solder is much slower than that of
other metals. But if it is thinner than 20 uinches, it can easily be
completely removed from the basis metal in a two-step process of tinning
followed by soldering.

2.)If the nickel is allowed to oxidize prior to the matte tin finish
applied by the component vendor, then the matte tin is simply being
deposited (coated over), but not plated to the nickel due to the nickel
oxide barrier. When you attempt to tin the part in-house the matte tin
is dissolved into the plating bath exposing the nickel oxide barrier,
and then when you attempt to solder to it no intermetallic formation
takes place between the nickel and the tin/lead solder.
Standard fluxes such as RMA, organic water soluble, etc, do not remove
nickel oxides.

If the operators are able to eventually get acceptable solder joints, I
suspect that they are physically removing the nickel oxides with the
solder iron tips. Either that or the basis metal is solderable, but not
ideally so.