TECHNET Archives

December 2007

TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Hfjord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Dec 2007 11:43:19 +0100
Brian, it looks like you've been involved in myriades of projects! Anyway,
your principle is used by Keithley. They make an instrument that can measure
attoamperes! 1 attoampere = 6 electrons per second!! They use a
Voltage/Current source same way as you did, i.e. a kind of capacitor that is
discharged through TeraOhm resistors. The discharge current is plotted vs.
time and a number of such events are integrated and computerized to give a
readout. Dynamic principal with other words. I have their instrument P/N
somewhere, if you are interested, or you will find it yourself. I believe
it's a 100K dollar instrument. Instruments have undergone a remarkable
evolution. My private and cheap and simple handhold Fluke is capable of
measuring microamperes with a resolution of 0.1 uA. Price :  350 USD.
Are you still mixing with electronics at home?
Can't help admiring you, oldie!
/Inge