TECHNET Archives

December 2007

From:
"Wenger, George M." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Wenger, George M.
Date:
Fri, 28 Dec 2007 13:04:58 -0500
I think the first thing I would do is to determine what p
Chris,

I think the first thing I would do is to determine what part of the

component surface I was soldering to by running a trial and by doing

cross sections.  The trial would be to solder side by side a component

that had formed leads and one that didn't have formed leads.  I would

also cross section two other components (one with formed leads and one

without)before soldering to see if the soldering problem is due to the

fact that the forming process exposes nickel in the area that is being

soldered.  I'd also do a third evaluation and us an XRF to measure the

thickness of the Sn and the Ni on the component leads both before and

after forming.  It might just turn out that you're having solderability

issues because you're soldering to exposed Ni rather than matte Sn.

Regards,

George

George M. Wenger

Andrew Corporation Wireless Network Solutions

Senior Principal FMA / Reliability Engineer

40 Technology Drive, Warren, NJ 07059

(908) 546-4531 [Office]  (732) 309-8964 [Cell]