TECHNET Archives

December 2007

From:
Phillip Bavaro <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Phillip Bavaro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Dec 2007 15:44:16 -0800
This month started with concerns about passives not having bright silver
shiny solder connections (and we all know that is a thing of the past), and
now we have grapes.
We don't have any failures at all related to either of these two cosmetic
issues, and there are a myriad of surface finishes involved altogether.

My response, so far, has been to stick to IPC terms and
definitions........and from what I have seen so far, the connections
exhibit acceptable wetting so this is purely a cosmetic issue for now.

The root cause, according to some sources is supposed to have to do with
exhaustion of the flux vehicle during reflow...but that is contradictory to
the second theory offered that the time at reflow was not long enough to
allow proper melting.

I will keep you posted as I "learn" more.   BTW, it is Friday in China.