LEADFREE Archives

December 2007

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Wed, 12 Dec 2007 10:19:17 -0600
The alloy of the new pb-free solder is probably not a factor, but the
different flux could be, along with the higher process temperatures
required with the new Pb-free paste. You do not state what type of paste
the old one and the new one are, no-clean or water soluble.
If your previous paste (which I assume was a no-clean, for certain
reasons) did not fail this surface moisture laden contaminate resistance
test, but assemblies soldered with the new paste do, and "nothing has
changed" other than the paste, then go back and verify that by taking
one of the old assemblies and testing it alongside one of the new
assemblies to verify that only the different paste and process is the
root cause. Once that is verified, you need to determine if the new
paste flux residues are the cause, or if something changed due to the
process (higher reflow temp).
I suspect it is a combination of both.

The other possibility: along with a changeover to Pb-free, there is
usually an associated increase in touchup rework, at least initially
until the inspectors/rework operators get their eyeballs recalibrated.
Along with this is more flux from rework, which is never fully activated
by heat. This small amount of conductive flux residue in direct contact
with the condensed dust can lead to additional leakage failures.