DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

December 2007

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Viggiano, Barry" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 2007 15:38:16 -0500
We use a two step approach.

First, for simple engineer's napkin sketches(or is that engineer's
simple napkin sketches), we use Visio or napkins. They both are easy,
inexpensive and easily distributed. You also get the added benefit of
using the napkin for lunch. Personally, I use Visio when designing but
NOT to detail, as I both design and detail.

Next, we use AutoCAD to detail cable drawings. We only CM the AUTOCAD
drawings. AutoCAD is a relatively inexpensive program as well. It  is
worth a little of your time to detail your connectors and block them off
into a library or keep a database of your drawings to browse through so
when you come across a like cable design you can pull up the drawing and
use whatever features are the same. I am sure there are library's as
well that can be purchased.

Off the track a little, what ever program you select, if you have all
your BOM's in a searchable database, you can do a "where used" on a part
and locate a cable in your database that uses parts of a new design.
Just pull up the cable, copy it to your new drawing and viola you don't
have to recreate parts that have been detailed already.

You can do simple schematics, one-line drawings, more complex 2D
drawings, instruction set and a whole lot more in AutoCAD.

Moreover, I  tried PRO-E "PRO-cabling and PRO-Harness. It was cumbersome
and cost $$ for seats. We use Solidworks for 3D only.

Finally, you can save the cost of drawings by creating a connection
diagram in Excel and not do drawings at all.
The Pro's...It is the cheapest and fastest way out. The con's a picture
is worth a thousand words and you can't always represent or convey what
a multilegged cable needs to look like.

Barry Viggiano