ENVIRONET Archives

December 2007

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
EnviroNet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2007 14:05:37 +0200
7bit
From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
On a recent visit to Switzerland, I was able to visit the new plant in
Lausanne to extract value from, mainly, household garbage, rather than
simply landfill it. This plant generates electricity and heat (for a
hospital and apartment blocks) from the waste and virtually eliminates
any pollution from the waste. Furthermore it eliminates the need to use
imported fossil fuels to generate the recovered energy. The whole plant
is economically profitable, even in the first year of service. I have
placed a report of my visit on the Web at
http://www.cypenv.org/Files/tridel.htm and this gives a brief run-down
of how it operates.

This has inspired me to wonder whether the same technology could be
applied in this country and I did a mini-study to assess roughly the
possibility of its viability and I came to the conclusion that it could
well be a net advance in improving the environment and helping to reduce
a potential shortfall in the supply of electricity and, possibly, water.
The results of this study are at
http://www.cypenv.org/Files/cypwastenhanc.htm and this concludes with
four very positive points, with additional advantages of recycling some
waste which is not otherwise economically viable to treat, as well as
exploiting the value of rubbish.

Knowing that Toronto spends a fortune to export their garbage to
Michigan and is environmentally unsound, I'm certain that the same
technology could be applied there to be both environmentally and
economically better. The same may apply to thousands of other places
around the world.

One of the thorny questions is recycling electronics. There is no
difficulty in extracting the metals from EOL PCBs but the difficulty has
always been what to do with the metal-stripped boards. Extracting the
energy from them is certainly one way of recycling them.

Brian