TECHNET Archives

November 2007

From:
"Douglas O. Pauls" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2007 13:28:47 -0600
Bob,
The only one who can answer the question is you, or someone using the
exact same material set you are using.  Solder mask can subtly change in
surface energy and adhesion characteristics in response to the heat and
chemicals of your manufacturing process.  There are too many variable to
predict whether or not a coating will adhere.  As Graham Collins put it,
you have to have a list of materials which have been found to work
together.    Like Graham, we have a list of approved masks that we have
done compatibility testing on with our chosen coatings.

You could try specifying that the mask be compatible with your silicone
coating, but your fabricator won't have that information.  I doubt your
suppliers would.

No way around it, you have to do the homework at home.

Doug Pauls

"Wilson, Bob" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>
11/28/2007 12:43 PM
Please respond to
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond to
"Wilson, Bob" <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
[TN] Conformal coating question part 2

Hi,

I found out I'm calling out a somewhat generic note for my soldermask:

"...APPLY GREEN LIQUID PHOTO IMAGEABLE SOLDER MASK PER IPC-SM-840, CLASS
H..."

Then we are spraying the boards using Tech Spray Fine-L-Kote, 2102,
Silicone Conformal Coating.

Is there a better way to specify my board soldermask that will not cause
compatibility issues with this type of conformal coating?

Or is my concern a non-issue?

Thanks a bunch.

Regards,

Bob Wilson