TECHNET Archives

November 2007

From:
"Douglas O. Pauls" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2007 13:20:02 -0600
Graham brings up the legal aspect of your question.

We face the issue occasionally here when we talk about Rockwell Collins
Workmanship Standards vs. IPC-A-610.  Bryan James, who leads our internal
workmanship standards group, is also heavily involved in the A-610 group,
as are several others of us.  So there is a great deal of agreement
between the RC WSM and A-610.  However, because A-610 is a concensus
document for the industry, it is not always sufficient, for our products.
So in most cases, our workmanship standards are, in my opinion, as good as
or better than IPC-A-610, again, for our products.  So, when a customer
asks whether or not we meet A-610, I feel comfortable saying yes, because
of this.  The really sticky part comes when customers ask if we are
"exactly" following A-610.  Especially if lawyers are involved.  Making
the assessment of whether our own workmanship standards are better
requires thought and discernment, and customers don't always want to do
that.

I think that from a practical standpoint, if your workmanship standards
are "superior" to the industry documents, for your products, then you
should be able to claim you meet a "lesser" standard.  Of course, that
often takes a heap of explainin'........

Doug Pauls

Graham Naisbitt <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>
11/27/2007 11:31 AM
Please respond to
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond to
Graham Naisbitt <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
Re: [TN] Accreditation?

Hi Iain

Have you taken a look through the IEC web site: www.iec.ch

As regards Workmanship requirements, the nearest I can find is IEC
61190. However, ISO 9000 in its various guises, is the QC system and
it is for you to determine how you control that in your plant.

In the electronics section of IEC there are 1160 different standards
- good luck!

You might keep-in-mind that, in EU law, International Standards take
precedence over Industry Norms or in-house documents, this would also
include IPC standards. Worst case, if your product causes someone to
sue you and you aren't working to International Standards, you lose!

FORE!

Kindest regards,

Graham