TECHNET Archives

November 2007

From:
Phillip Bavaro <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Phillip Bavaro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Nov 2007 08:50:19 -0800
In a former position, I had the benefit of being able to still use a freon
vapor degreaser to easily strip the acrylic 1B31 from any board that needed
better prep (non-adhesion qualifies as that), but I don't know if there is
a equivalent stripping method these days.

My recommendation is to locally scrub the area that has the problem, IF it
is flat and easily rubbed with a cotton swab.  The RTV can be rubbed off
using a suitable solvent (but be very careful not to drip the solvent onto
any good areas).

Adhesion of the touch up 1B31 to the "clean" surface will be just a good as
the rest of the board has long as you do a good job cleaning.  Don't forget
to bake the board before reapplying the 1B31.

Covering up the spots (that you are no doubt seeing under ultraviolet
light) with more 1B31 is not recommended as you are right, you have not
fixed the problem.  However it depends on what the environment is that you
are using the 1B31 for.  Typically such an environment is not one which
would bubble up an area like you are mentioning (if the pull-aways are in
fact only due to RTV).

I am just curious, are you applying the RTV after prepping the boards for
the 1B31?   Is it possible to coat the board and then apply the RTV
afterwards.  Typically the RTV is applied to external surfaces which could
be easily locally stripped and then covered up with RTV.  It would seem
obvious that you don't have a requirement to put 1B31 on top of the RTV.

Hope this helps.

Phil