TECHNET Archives

November 2007

From:
"David D. Hillman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2007 18:06:14 -0500
Hi gang! Just one additional comment to add to Steve's good information.
The wetting characteristics of glass are not the same as most BGA laminate
materials so after using dummy glass methodology that Steve described, it
is always a good idea to run a few samples with the specific BGA to
confirm that you are getting the flow distribution that you expect.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins

"Creswick, Steven" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>
11/01/2007 05:07 AM
Please respond to
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond to
"Creswick, Steven" <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
Re: [TN] verifying BGA underfill coverage

Joe,

Acoustic microscopy is about the best method I can think of, but you
still need to be an intelligent consumer.  The biggies like Sonix and
Sonoscan both make good equipment.  The transducers and software really
make the difference, and the software is improving on a continuing
basis.

It is also possible to make 'dummy' flip chips if you have access to
metal deposition and patterning of glass.  Buying and placing solder
spheres is the only other task that you would need for that approach.
It REALLY helps to understand the under-fill's flow characteristics when
you can actually see it as it happens.  I learned a great deal from this
approach using an old Camelot 1414.

Ever considered a flux under-fill [or no-flow under-fill]?

Steve