TECHNET Archives

November 2007

From:
Joe Russeau <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Joe Russeau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2007 13:48:50 -0500
Hello Phil,

Before I became to concerned with trying to switch soldering materials.  I
would first try to identify how this problem occurred.  Is this a new CM or
a group with whom you have some history?  Is this a new product for you, for
your CM or something they have produced for awhile? Are the materials that
were used the traditional materials for manufacturing the product or were
they trying something new?  The point that I'm trying to make is that you
want to identify a root cause. If this product has been manufactured for a
long time using the same soldering materials with little to no product
issues, then I don't know that switching materials will eliminate the
problem. It could also be a process related issue. As for specifying what
processes your CM should use, yes you should do that once you identified the
problem and how to correct it.  Don't just make a recommendation before you
have an understanding of the cause.

I would also look into cleaning the parts instead of reworking them,
especially if you know that the no clean flux residue is the cause of the
problem.  It may be that cleaning them would remove the problem.  Contacting
someone like Kyzen or Zestron would be advantageous for determining if the
boards could be cleaned.  If you are not able to clean at your facility, I
know Kyzen will do the cleaning for you. Zestron may also have such
services.  What I would suggest is that you send a few boards to your
preferred cleaning company, let them clean them, have them returned and
determine if they work.  If so, have them clean the rest. Meanwhile figure
out what your CM did differently (assuming this product has been around for
sometime).

Best Regards,

Joe Russeau
Precision Analytical Laboratory, Inc.