TECHNET Archives

October 2007

From:
Jack Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Jack Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2007 11:22:32 -0500
THANK YOU everyone for taking the time to respond,

I really appreciate it.

My problem is, we paid for a report to evaluate some board failures,

and I'm having trouble evaluating the report!

Most of it is related to chemistry, (I won't bore everybody with that),

but the failures are result of shorts and delamination,

I'll only ask two more questions

Does this picture indicate the following?

"no visible short is present.

This indicates a fiber-thin short

not able to be imaged by X-ray".

That seems like quite a stretch, with no evidence

(and isn't delamination more often a moisture issue?)

http://www.frontdoor.biz/PCBportal/bubbles1.jpg

and part of the report talks about contamination.

http://www.frontdoor.biz/PCBportal/bubbles2.jpg

http://www.frontdoor.biz/PCBportal/bubbles3.jpg

and part of the report suggests the laminate is too thin.

Is 3.5mils too thin?
Aren't there 2.5mil laminates out there now? Or less?

Maybe its not appropriate to talk about other company's
work in public,

If so, don't answer and I apologize for filling mailboxes

onward thru the fog,
Jack