TECHNET Archives

October 2007

From:
Franklin D Asbell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Franklin D Asbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2007 16:00:03 -0600
Why not train your customer to view 55110 revisions the same way they view
their internal revisions, i.e. the latest revision applies. (not wholly a
joke)

DSCC would prefer this, it is my opinion those old (make it to the
identified rev level) die hards, hanger on'ners, are stuck with the notion
that if the drawing specifies rev D (or the drawing date coincides with a
specific revision) then it shall be tested and must conform to the old dusty
drawing.

What many of them overlook is the cost associated with testing to outdated
drawings, with the advancement in materials and technologies, testing and
associated equipment have advanced where often (with some specs) tests are
no longer necessary (materials are proven not to be affected, etc), times,
temperatures, etc. are updated to reflect sound reliability studies...and
when a company has to have two or more labs set-up (or groups of equipment)
in order to meet multiple revisions of the same drawing...well this is just
not good business in my opinion.

When I built boards, and received drawings (55110) with specific revisions I
always responded to the buyer requesting acknowledgement we would fabricate
and inspect to the latest (G, G1 etc) revision of 55110. In 1,000's of
instances, we had perhaps 1 instance where a customer was insistent upon
applying an outdated specification. I merely quoted him in the set-up costs,
the duplicate equipment, time, etc. necessary and his mind was changed.

I believe DSCC needs to be more vocal about this, they would readily provide
a verbal opinion, they need to document this better (aside from the blurb in
the front of each drawing about using the latest specification and test
matrix)

But hey, this is just my opinion...

Franklin D Asbell