TECHNET Archives

October 2007

Date:
Sun, 14 Oct 2007 16:15:28 EDT

George, Werner,

These are unpopulated brds.

YES THERE ARE CPNS ON THE PANEL.(as per IPC-2221)

1) CPNS SHOW more than 0.0015" mini in the via holes (in cpns  representing
via holes)

2) However, some assy have failed due to cracked copper.

3) 2 assy were X-sectioned and showed low copper ~ 0.001" in the vias that
cracked. (these are vias in the  brd)...            we do  have pretty good
plating quality....we check tensile elongation every 2 wks and  elongation always
runs > 20%.

4) We X-secitoned some scrap brds...via plating was fine.

5) SO WE feel that, some brds may less plating in these via holes even
though the cpns show adequate plating.

6) HENCE WE WANT TO MEASURE COPPER PLATING IN VIA HOLES (IN A BARE BRD)
NON_destructively.

Rush
818-415-0030

In a message dated 10/13/2007 4:55:02 PM Pacific Daylight Time,