TECHNET Archives

October 2007

From:
Ted Tontis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Ted Tontis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2007 16:05:28 -0500
I always called it as the glue dot machine and no one ever corrected me, who
knew. I think the number of syringes would depend on the volume you are
applying and the rate you are applying it. It used as a work around for a
surface mount connector that had coplanarity issues. The board was densely
populated with fine pitch parts, some of them were close to the connectors
ruling out a step stencil. The supplier was not about to fix the connector
to spec so someone came up with the idea to screen the paste on and then add
a solder dot to each pad using the glue dispenser. It resolved almost all of
the rework needed to be done on those connectors. It was also used to add
more paste to the surface mount sections of heat shields. Same reason as the
connector it was always difficult to get enough volume of paste in certain
areas with an electroform stencil.
Because it was used on connectors and heat shields that already had paste
there, we used a small volume requiring one syringe. I don't see why you
couldn't use the same nozzle size on multiple syringes and alternate between
them or use different nozzle sizes placing different size dots to achieve
the best results. It was trial and error that lead to how it was used in
each application. I know it's not an exact science but I can tell you it
worked great and didn’t hold up production once it was dialed in.

Hope that helps,

Ted