TECHNET Archives

October 2007

From:
Kevin Glidden <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Kevin Glidden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2007 11:21:01 -0400
Good Morning.

The advice from Kim is very good.  This is commonly done, but there are a
bunch of items to consider.

1) Is the connector designed / not designed to do so? Certain connector
mfr's will claim so, most will not.  Only those with military application
customers have any knowledge of it, and some have way more commercial
customers so it is not something they are willing to invest into.

It's been a while since I dealt with this, but to my recollection:
MIL-A-28870 assemblies using MIL-C-28859 contacts (NAFI) or EIA-???(UHD)
contacts will pierce AR, UR, and even XY coatings.  IEH has a small line of
connectors that will as well.  DIN 41612 and 2mm HM connectors will pierce
UR coating as well (although Harting and ERNI will not claim they do), but
not XY.  Airborn connectors will NOT.  At my last employer we kept a list of
connectors and mfr's we had used with success, but I no longer have it.

If not specifically designed to do so by the mfr, all is not lost - you can
run your own trials.  Perform microsections to observe PTH integrity after
insertion.  Check for electrical opens.

2) If so, what coating types (AR, UR, XY) and at what thicknesses?

3) What PCB parameters are required: drill size, plating thickness, FHS?

Hope that helps,

Kevin Glidden
Manufacturing Engineer
Luminescent Systems Inc.